Skip to main content

We're adopting...

You’re doing what!?!?

We’re adopting.

Yes, that’s right, we’re adopting. (again)

Yes, we know, that this might make us *officially* crazy, but, well, we don’t mind crazy.  We like to think of it as radical.  And not just any radical – radical for Christ.  Weird for God.  A follower, not a fan.  All in.  Jesus Freaks.  Whatever the terminology you prefer, that’s us.  Or at least, that’s what we’re trying to become.  Disciples.  That’s what we strive to be, but I don’t feel even close to adequate to compare ourselves to the disciples.  The disciples in the bible left behind their families, their professions, and their homes.  They were mocked, persecuted, and martyred.  All we’re doing is bringing a little girl home.  Well, first we’ll have to do a million pages of paperwork, raise $25,000, go across the world twice, and then we’ll bring her home.  But bringing home a little girl hardly seems to qualify us as disciples.

Okay, she’s not just any little girl.  We stumbled upon an almost 5 year old little girl with special needs in Eastern Europe.  She stole our hearts.  I don’t know how to describe falling in love with one small picture (that isn’t even recent), but we did.  God spoke to our hearts and told us that she is ours.  We don’t even really know anything about her special needs, just that she has some.  But that’s okay.  God knows and He chose her for us, so we will walk in faith. 

Here’s the catch.  We can’t afford this.  We are already raising a large family on one income.  While we are financially stable, it would take us years to save the $25,000 for her adoption.  But she doesn’t have that kind of time.  God told us the time is now, so we jumped out in faith.  We made the crazy decision to trust God and basically emptied our savings account to get the process started.  Now we are committed to fundraising for the rest and trusting that God will provide.  And we know He will, because He is our great provider.

We’ve come to believe that part of God’s work in this adoption is to bring together a community of people to pour out their love and rescue this little girl from life in an institution.  To allow our friends and family to be part of saving a child’s life.  To mobilize a community of Christians to live out their faith by caring for an orphan.  So we are asking you to come along side us and help. Please pray with us.  Donate if you can, but please know that it’s okay with us if you don’t.  We want you to walk on this journey with us either way.  We want to share with you, maybe even inspire you a little.  We want to be inspired by you.  But mostly, we need to feel the love and support of our friends and family as we step into the unknown and walk in faith.  We have a long journey ahead – one that really will just begin when we bring her home.  We will have a lifetime of medical care, educational interventions, and undoing the damage that 5 years in an institution has done.  Please walk beside us on this long, but beautiful journey.  As we look ahead, we are already praising God for His mercy, grace, and strength as we travel this path, and thanking Him for the blessing of this sweet child.


“For we walk by faith, not by sight”  2 Corinthians 5:7


If you would like to donate, you can do so at: 

You may also make a tax-deductible donation at:

Even $5 can help us rescue this child.

**I borrowed terminology coined by the books Not A Fan, All In, Radical, and maybe some others.  I highly recommend those books, as well as a few others! :-) 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving fearfully & wonderfully made.

The grief seems to hit out of nowhere. Most of the time it lays dormant, but some days it just takes my breath away. This is the grief of the special needs mom If you have known me very long, you know I am FIRMLY planted in the camp of thinking that my children with disabilities were perfectly made. I have quoted Psalm 139:14 a million times. I just don't believe God makes mistakes. And yes, it gets philosophically deeper and more complex than that, but at the end of the day, I hold fast that people with disabilities are not broken & God has a plan for them. But some days I grieve. Sometimes this plan is not easy for me to understand. Some days this particular picture of "fearfully and wonderfully made" Is. Not. What. I. Want. There are days I want off this path and on the path where my kids are all honor students. I don't want to spend the next 30 years changing diapers, but I might. I long to have conversations with my daughters. I don't want to navi

Ways to support our adoption (LOTS of them are FREE)

Ways to support our adoption: FREE ways to help: Give us your stinky old shoes! - We are collecting shoes to be reused in developing nations through an entrepreneurship program. Our goal is 10,000 pairs, so it is a God-sized goal and we need your help! This program has BIG potential to pay it forward: our adoption grant receives 40 cents per pound for the shoes, an entrepreneur is set up to sell them and earn a living wage, and low cost shoes are available to people in need.  Even better: talk to your work or church and set up a box! If you'll watch it and let us know when it's full, we'll come collect them! We have a HUGE goal to meet, and we need your network too! Help us check the current drop offs and bring us shoes when they overflow. Since we do not live in town, this is an especially big help! Current drop offs are: Lumbermart and Stage in Guymon, the Methodist Student Center and Church of Christ Student Center in Goodwell, Mills in Hooker, and the Post Offi

Little girl lost. & found.

"Are you sure you can help her?" We were asked. The meaning was clear: this child is beyond help. There are others who can be helped. "Yes, absolutely!" I answered, with more assurance than I felt. Truthfully, I had no idea how we would help her. I knew where we would start, and I knew we had a lot of knowledge, but frankly, I was unsure what she was capable of. I was unsure of what I was capable of. I knew she was ours, so I HAD TO help her. There HAD TO be a way. So I answered with more enthusiasm than I felt.  I felt a lot of fear that day, after we met the wild little girl who was clearly locked very deeply in her own world. I don't know what I imagined her to be like, but this wasn't it. I wasn't disappointed - I learned long ago to let go of my expectations of what my children would be like & free myself to enjoy who God made them to be. I knew in my heart the moment we committed, before we knew anything about her, that her