Skip to main content

Walking in the Dark

“For we walk by faith, not by sight” 2 Corinthians 5:7

I’m pretty sure I’ve recited that verse at least a million times a day for the last few weeks.  Right now we’re walking in the dark.  It’s pitch black out and we’re following a pin prick of light ahead of us.  We know where we’re going, but have no idea how we’re going to get there.  It’s seriously scary.

The weird thing is, for the most part I feel calm.  This is not our journey – it’s God’s journey.  Since it’s His journey I know that there’s nothing I can do through my own power to get to the end – He has to guide me.  That’s the weird thing about walking completely blindly – you can’t help but rely on the One that is guiding you.  You can’t second guess where you’re going, because you don’t know.  You can’t try to change the path or take a shortcut, because you don’t know where the path is going next.  All you can do is take the hand of your guide and take one step at a time.  So that’s what we’re doing.

We’ve committed to this adoption even though it seems impossible.  It has a price tag of over $25,000.  We don’t have even close to that much money on hand and we have no idea where it’s going to come from.  But God does.  We’re an imperfect family, maybe the home visit won’t go well.  But God chose us.  We don’t know how we’re going to manage to travel for several weeks with 5 kids at home.  But God will show us.  We have no idea what kind of health needs our new daughter will have and whether they can be met in our rural area.  But God directed us to her.  We’re nervous about how exhausting life will be with 2 children with intense special needs plus 4 others.  But God will strengthen us.

This adoption seems impossible.  We’re not the perfect family.  We’re not wealthy, our house needs work, our cars are old, and we have a million things competing for our time and energy.  We have days where we’re exhausted beyond belief.  We’re not the family that you imagine when you think of someone adopting internationally.  And that, my friends, is EXACTLY why I think God chose us.  Because if we can do this, anyone can do this.  It is my prayer that someone will see us, talk to us, hear about us, and think “wow – I can do that”.  That’s when lives will be saved.  That is why I push forward – not just for the life of our little girl, but for the lives of the millions of other orphans that need families.  Not families with tons of money and fancy houses – families with lots of love.

So we will continue to walk in the dark.  And sitting here, in the beginning of the long, scary journey through the darkness, I already know one thing – this journey will forever impact the souls of our family.  This journey will be the single most powerful thing we have ever done.  Not because of the end result, but because of the walk.  It will be life-changing because we will spend the next several months walking blindly, being led by nothing but Jesus holding our hands and leading us through the dark.  We won’t be able to see the path, but if we stay focused, we will be able to feel our Savior with us every hour of every day.  Yes, it will be scary.  We already know that there will be bumps along the way.  Maybe there will be days when we feel like we’ve wandered off the path and we’re falling into the abyss, but those days might just be the most powerful – when we fall toward the bottom but God catches us.  When we are reminded that God is in control, even when it feels like He is not. 

My continued prayer for the next several months is that we can continue to lean into God each step of the way and that this journey will build a stronger faith in our family.  Please join us in praying daily for the adoption process, and for our daughter as she waits.  Please pray for the staff as well as the orphans being left behind.  Please pray for the millions of orphans throughout the world, especially those with special needs.  Please pray for cultural changes to occur that would end the practice of families giving precious children up simply because of a special needs diagnosis. 


“For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.”  Isaiah 41:13



Thank you for following our family’s journey and praying for us.  If you feel led to give financially toward the cost of our adoption, you may do so at: http://reecesrainbow.org/76200/sponsoroden

Every dime will go toward bringing our precious daughter home.  Any extra funds raised will go directly to orphan care. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving fearfully & wonderfully made.

The grief seems to hit out of nowhere. Most of the time it lays dormant, but some days it just takes my breath away. This is the grief of the special needs mom If you have known me very long, you know I am FIRMLY planted in the camp of thinking that my children with disabilities were perfectly made. I have quoted Psalm 139:14 a million times. I just don't believe God makes mistakes. And yes, it gets philosophically deeper and more complex than that, but at the end of the day, I hold fast that people with disabilities are not broken & God has a plan for them. But some days I grieve. Sometimes this plan is not easy for me to understand. Some days this particular picture of "fearfully and wonderfully made" Is. Not. What. I. Want. There are days I want off this path and on the path where my kids are all honor students. I don't want to spend the next 30 years changing diapers, but I might. I long to have conversations with my daughters. I don't want to navi

Ways to support our adoption (LOTS of them are FREE)

Ways to support our adoption: FREE ways to help: Give us your stinky old shoes! - We are collecting shoes to be reused in developing nations through an entrepreneurship program. Our goal is 10,000 pairs, so it is a God-sized goal and we need your help! This program has BIG potential to pay it forward: our adoption grant receives 40 cents per pound for the shoes, an entrepreneur is set up to sell them and earn a living wage, and low cost shoes are available to people in need.  Even better: talk to your work or church and set up a box! If you'll watch it and let us know when it's full, we'll come collect them! We have a HUGE goal to meet, and we need your network too! Help us check the current drop offs and bring us shoes when they overflow. Since we do not live in town, this is an especially big help! Current drop offs are: Lumbermart and Stage in Guymon, the Methodist Student Center and Church of Christ Student Center in Goodwell, Mills in Hooker, and the Post Offi

Little girl lost. & found.

"Are you sure you can help her?" We were asked. The meaning was clear: this child is beyond help. There are others who can be helped. "Yes, absolutely!" I answered, with more assurance than I felt. Truthfully, I had no idea how we would help her. I knew where we would start, and I knew we had a lot of knowledge, but frankly, I was unsure what she was capable of. I was unsure of what I was capable of. I knew she was ours, so I HAD TO help her. There HAD TO be a way. So I answered with more enthusiasm than I felt.  I felt a lot of fear that day, after we met the wild little girl who was clearly locked very deeply in her own world. I don't know what I imagined her to be like, but this wasn't it. I wasn't disappointed - I learned long ago to let go of my expectations of what my children would be like & free myself to enjoy who God made them to be. I knew in my heart the moment we committed, before we knew anything about her, that her