Skip to main content

Approval (again)

SO, Monday it OFFICIALLY came. We received our USCIS approval! This is the last approval needed on this side of the ocean. I knew it was coming last week - I had called USCIS, and they confirmed that it was on it's way.  Here's the funny thing though - there was part of me that was still a little bit surprised.

To me, the word "approval" is a scary word. Every step of the way I have been extremely stressed when we face another approval. You see, I have this picture of adoptive parents as completely perfect parents. They have to be perfect to pass all of those inspections and stuff, right? And part of this picture of perfection is the perfect looking mom wearing the cardigan and heels while effortlessly maintaining an immaculate house while her rich husband golfs. Yeah, I definitely don't fit that picture.

So here I sit, midway through our second adoption, having received another approval, wondering when the heck I became perfect enough that someone would actually approve me to raise a beautiful, priceless treasure.  Maybe I seem a little crazy for thinking that. On the other hand, maybe other parents in the process or considering adoption worry about this and I can voice their fears. I hope that sharing this little bit of myself will ease the stress for someone else.

I am a broken person. Each day God lovingly glues a little piece back together, but I will always remain broken. Really, all of us are broken. I don't know a single person who hasn't felt loss or pain in their lives. And who is better to raise a broken, scared child than a broken person who has been put back together? Who better to sit down with them in their pain than someone who has lived through pain? You and I, the broken people who God has glued back together, we have power: the power to show that brokenness is beautiful, that the masterpiece created when the pieces are glued back together is amazing, and that redemption is available to us all - especially the broken.

So today I will proudly say: I will never fit in, my house will never be a showplace, my kids will never show up to church in matching outfits. I will never have it all together. I will spend my days devoting my energy, talent, and drive to my children. Many people would think that isn't enough, that I am wasting my abilities by not having a career. In reality, most days I feel unworthy of this tremendous calling that I have to raise this family. Many people would judge me because since I'm a SAHM I should have a perfect house and perfectly dressed children. But I do not.

I will never be the perfect mom that I feel I should be to survive the adoption process unscathed. But here I sit, having once again had my background, parenting skills, finances, medical history, and every other aspect of my life combed through, and I still heard the beautiful word "approved."  Because these children, these beautiful treasures, they need REAL parents, not perfect parents. They need parents willing to walk with them through their pain, to tell them it's ok to be different, to buck the system, to move heaven and earth just to get them home. Sure, matching outfits every Sunday and an immaculate house would be nice. But what these kids REALLY need is fierce, tenacious parents who are willing to lay down their standards, lay down their pride, and sacrifice financial gain in order to love these children. They need parents who will devote themselves to healing their broken hearts. It is often hard, expensive, thankless work. At the same time it is incredible, joyful, rewarding work. These are God's children, and healing their hearts is God's work. And there is nothing more important than that. 

The best part is this: We can ALL be part of it! When you adopt, foster, provide respite, financially support an adoption, or provide support for a foster or adoptive family, you are PART of God's work in these children's lives.

If you would like to financially contribute to bringing our princess home, you may make a tax-deductible donation at: www.reecesrainbow.org/sponsoroden

Or you may contribute to our GoFundMe account at:   https://www.gofundme.com/nw7czvxc   

Every little bit helps and we are so thankful for it all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving fearfully & wonderfully made.

The grief seems to hit out of nowhere. Most of the time it lays dormant, but some days it just takes my breath away. This is the grief of the special needs mom If you have known me very long, you know I am FIRMLY planted in the camp of thinking that my children with disabilities were perfectly made. I have quoted Psalm 139:14 a million times. I just don't believe God makes mistakes. And yes, it gets philosophically deeper and more complex than that, but at the end of the day, I hold fast that people with disabilities are not broken & God has a plan for them. But some days I grieve. Sometimes this plan is not easy for me to understand. Some days this particular picture of "fearfully and wonderfully made" Is. Not. What. I. Want. There are days I want off this path and on the path where my kids are all honor students. I don't want to spend the next 30 years changing diapers, but I might. I long to have conversations with my daughters. I don't want to navi

Little girl lost. & found.

"Are you sure you can help her?" We were asked. The meaning was clear: this child is beyond help. There are others who can be helped. "Yes, absolutely!" I answered, with more assurance than I felt. Truthfully, I had no idea how we would help her. I knew where we would start, and I knew we had a lot of knowledge, but frankly, I was unsure what she was capable of. I was unsure of what I was capable of. I knew she was ours, so I HAD TO help her. There HAD TO be a way. So I answered with more enthusiasm than I felt.  I felt a lot of fear that day, after we met the wild little girl who was clearly locked very deeply in her own world. I don't know what I imagined her to be like, but this wasn't it. I wasn't disappointed - I learned long ago to let go of my expectations of what my children would be like & free myself to enjoy who God made them to be. I knew in my heart the moment we committed, before we knew anything about her, that her

Ways to support our adoption (LOTS of them are FREE)

Ways to support our adoption: FREE ways to help: Give us your stinky old shoes! - We are collecting shoes to be reused in developing nations through an entrepreneurship program. Our goal is 10,000 pairs, so it is a God-sized goal and we need your help! This program has BIG potential to pay it forward: our adoption grant receives 40 cents per pound for the shoes, an entrepreneur is set up to sell them and earn a living wage, and low cost shoes are available to people in need.  Even better: talk to your work or church and set up a box! If you'll watch it and let us know when it's full, we'll come collect them! We have a HUGE goal to meet, and we need your network too! Help us check the current drop offs and bring us shoes when they overflow. Since we do not live in town, this is an especially big help! Current drop offs are: Lumbermart and Stage in Guymon, the Methodist Student Center and Church of Christ Student Center in Goodwell, Mills in Hooker, and the Post Offi