Skip to main content

Our cup runs over: A garage sale story

So, maybe a garage sale doesn't need it's own blog post, but in this case, I think it does. So, here's the story of how one small garage sale turned into a great big blessing.

I'll just start with my dirty little secret: I did NOT want to do a garage sale.  The last few garage sales I've tried have been a nightmare, and not at all worth the time and effort.  However, my cousin suggested that we do a garage sale, and said that she would help, and I figured that I can't turn down good help, so we went for it.  We planned it for her front yard (I live in the country so my house wouldn't work).  Fast forward to the week of the garage sale: we had very few donations, she was scheduled to work for basically the entire sale, and my daughter and I both got sick that week.  I was in tears the day we decided to postpone it.  We've had a lot going on in our family lately, and I was sick, overwhelmed, and defeated.  So, we postponed one week.

It's funny how God orchestrates these little miracles in the middle of moments of despair.  It's amazing how He picks us up from our despair and shows His love when we need it most.  The day we decided to postpone the garage sale, amazing things started to happen.  It started with a Facebook message from a friend who is honestly someone I don't even know very well.  God got ahold of her heart and she spread the word and donations poured in through her.  Then they came in from our posts on Facebook sale sites, from friends of friends, from strangers, from church members.  We soon realized that our planned spot wasn't big enough.  So my mom started calling and found us the perfect location, and it was cheap!  The donations continued, and when we got it all in on Thursday, we were astounded to see how much stuff we had!  The building was full!  We worked late Thursday night, but there was still a ton to do.  Thursday night I was stressed, and prayed and prayed that we could get it all done.  None of us could be there until after lunch on Friday and the sale started at 4.  It was an impossible task!  And then, out of the blue, another one of my cousins messaged asking if we needed help.  And he showed up, and gave us two full days of work.  By 2pm on Friday, people were coming.  Not only were people coming, but donations were still coming.  In fact, several people would come shop and then come back with donations!  I was blown away!  God opened the floodgates and it all came... the help we needed, the donations, the shoppers.  I was blown away.

Every time I was awed by God, new things would come.  I mean, we started off with some awesome stuff!  A couch, recliners, entertainment center, coffee tables, a crib, toys, books, dishes, house stuff, tons and TONS of clothes.  I couldn't believe the amount of stuff!  And then, when I would get my mind around how amazing it was, I would be blown away again!  A couple from church brought loads of stuff!  Then a woman who I had never met, who spoke broken English, came back with her kids carrying ARMLOADS of stuff to donate "for the little girl".  An old friend showed up with awesome stuff, someone I don't even know donated a Wii. A Wii!!!  You guys, I know that maybe donating to a garage sale seems easy, but I KNOW that every single person that donated could have sold that stuff on their own.  They could have kept the money.  But they didn't - they gave and gave and gave.  I saw SACRIFICIAL GIVING.  To us, to our little girl who is a world away.  Dozens of people in my community, many whom I had never met before, gave sacrificially.  I still can't wrap my mind around that.

Of course, the donors were only half of the story, then came the shoppers.  I could not believe the amount of stuff that we sold!  I was completely amazed by the lack of haggling.  I was blown away by the number of people who donated on top of their purchases.  I was overwhelmed by the amount of sales and donations that we received.  I was awed by the amount of love that was shown. 

I have experienced God's love many times in my life.  However, I honestly can say I don't think I've ever been so overwhelmed by seeing it manifested so tangibly.  I still cannot wrap my mind around the amount of stuff that was donated, the amount of stuff that was sold, and just the amount of love that was shown.  I see the stories of evil all around us, but right here in my hometown, I saw pure goodness from so many people.  I saw sacrificial giving to a family that they don't know, and a little girl that they may never meet.  People just gave.  They just loved.  They didn't question.  They helped raise over $1200 toward bringing our daughter home.  They helped save a life - and it was amazing.



A special shout out to my 2 cousins & my aunt who gave TONS of hours, my other cousin who covered childcare so her sister could help, my parents for feeding us and watching my children, my brother for bringing loads of stuff over and doing some heavy lifting, for everyone who shared our story, and for every single donor and every single shopper.  You absolutely amaze me.



Thank you for joining us on our journey.  If you would like to make a donation to help us bring our daughter home, you may make a tax-deductible donation at: www.reecesrainbow.org/sponsoroden  No amount is too small - when we all do a little bit, it adds up to a lot!

Comments

  1. What an awesome experience! Can't wait to meet the newest Oden!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving fearfully & wonderfully made.

The grief seems to hit out of nowhere. Most of the time it lays dormant, but some days it just takes my breath away. This is the grief of the special needs mom If you have known me very long, you know I am FIRMLY planted in the camp of thinking that my children with disabilities were perfectly made. I have quoted Psalm 139:14 a million times. I just don't believe God makes mistakes. And yes, it gets philosophically deeper and more complex than that, but at the end of the day, I hold fast that people with disabilities are not broken & God has a plan for them. But some days I grieve. Sometimes this plan is not easy for me to understand. Some days this particular picture of "fearfully and wonderfully made" Is. Not. What. I. Want. There are days I want off this path and on the path where my kids are all honor students. I don't want to spend the next 30 years changing diapers, but I might. I long to have conversations with my daughters. I don't want to navi

Ways to support our adoption (LOTS of them are FREE)

Ways to support our adoption: FREE ways to help: Give us your stinky old shoes! - We are collecting shoes to be reused in developing nations through an entrepreneurship program. Our goal is 10,000 pairs, so it is a God-sized goal and we need your help! This program has BIG potential to pay it forward: our adoption grant receives 40 cents per pound for the shoes, an entrepreneur is set up to sell them and earn a living wage, and low cost shoes are available to people in need.  Even better: talk to your work or church and set up a box! If you'll watch it and let us know when it's full, we'll come collect them! We have a HUGE goal to meet, and we need your network too! Help us check the current drop offs and bring us shoes when they overflow. Since we do not live in town, this is an especially big help! Current drop offs are: Lumbermart and Stage in Guymon, the Methodist Student Center and Church of Christ Student Center in Goodwell, Mills in Hooker, and the Post Offi

Little girl lost. & found.

"Are you sure you can help her?" We were asked. The meaning was clear: this child is beyond help. There are others who can be helped. "Yes, absolutely!" I answered, with more assurance than I felt. Truthfully, I had no idea how we would help her. I knew where we would start, and I knew we had a lot of knowledge, but frankly, I was unsure what she was capable of. I was unsure of what I was capable of. I knew she was ours, so I HAD TO help her. There HAD TO be a way. So I answered with more enthusiasm than I felt.  I felt a lot of fear that day, after we met the wild little girl who was clearly locked very deeply in her own world. I don't know what I imagined her to be like, but this wasn't it. I wasn't disappointed - I learned long ago to let go of my expectations of what my children would be like & free myself to enjoy who God made them to be. I knew in my heart the moment we committed, before we knew anything about her, that her